In early 1958, a group of about 25 men began thinking of a new church community in the area east of the Florida Boulevard and Airline Highway intersection. At the time Baton Rouge was under the province of the Archdiocese of New Orleans. The Archdiocese anticipated such a need and purchased a 12-acre site for a new Catholic parish in the developing Sherwood Forest subdivision.
The parish was officially declared in 1958. Subsequently the original church was built in 1960. A year later St. Thomas More Elementary School grade Kindergarten through Eight was established. Later, to increase the ministry of Catholic education, St. Thomas More Preschool was founded in 1982.
For over 50 years St. Thomas More Parish has been a thriving faith community of 2,300+ families striving to live the message of Jesus Christ, as witnessed through our patron, St. Thomas More. The parish consists of the mentioned educational institutions, as well as over 65 active parish ministries serving the local and broader community.
“St. Thomas More Parish’s faith and vitality have been passed on over generations. Over the years it has grown and changed, but its spirit, animated by the always present Holy Spirit, continues to inspire a strong Catholic faith. Its life is not in its buildings but in its people who cherish their years spent in a God-filled community.”-Fr. John Carville, St. Thomas More Pastor 1990-2001.